Because our senior living communities across the country are home to many of our nation’s greatest generation, we thought it was important to encourage readers to show their gratitude to veterans and current military personnel. As you are busy gearing up for Veterans Day celebrations with family and friends, here are a few ways you can thank those who served:
1. Volunteer a few hours of your time with a local veterans group. There are a variety of opportunities to choose from, ranging from helping out at VA clinics and hospitals to supporting The American Legion.
2. Fly your flag. Many of us overlook what our flag symbolizes during the hectic days of a holiday weekend. Make it a priority this year to display the American flag on Independence Day and to encourage your friends, family and neighbors to do the same.
3. Change your Facebook. Change your Facebook photo to one of a veteran or a picture that represents freedom. It will help remind your friends what Veterans Day is all about.
4. Write a letter to a current member of the military or to a wounded warrior. There are several organizations that help make it easier to find one. Operation Gratitude, A Million Thanks and Any Solider are three to consider.
5. Don’t overlook the sacrifices military families make. Many families of deployed servicemen and servicewomen struggle to keep the home fires burning while a spouse is serving. The National Military Family Association is a non-profit organization that offers support to spouses and children. Visit their website to learn how you can help.
6. Hire a hero. The unemployment rate for our veterans is close to 7%. If you are in a position to help, Hire Heroes USA is an organization that can connect you with local veterans looking for employment.
7. Consider making a donation to an organization like Honor Flight. This great network takes veterans to Washington, D.C. to visit the memorials established in their honor. They arrange these trips at no cost to the veteran.
Remember to thank a veteran for their commitment and sacrifices to protect our freedoms!