If you or a senior you love has to be on a pureed food diet, sometimes referred to as a mechanical soft food diet, it might be easy to assume all food choices will be bland and boring. But the good news is there are many options for pureeing foods that are downright delicious.
9 Delicious Pureed Foods Recipes
Here are a few pureed food ideas you can try:
1. Mac & Cheese: Who doesn’t love this favorite comfort food? To make it taste just as good pureed, simply prepare the dish as you normally would. Then warm up one cup of milk. Add the mac and cheese and warm milk to the blender and blend well.
2. Guacamole: Blend two ripe avocados, one diced tomato, two tablespoons of lemon juice and a pinch or two of garlic. This pureed treat is tasty and rich with fiber and healthy fat.
Spaghetti and Meatballs: This hearty pureed treat is sure to please! Combine ½ cup of cooked spaghetti noodles, two pre-cooked meatballs, ½ cup of low sodium spaghetti sauce and ¾ cup of hot water. Add a sprinkle or two of Parmesan cheese. Blend well and serve warm.
3. Pureed Cauliflower: Another pureed food recipe your senior loved one will love is pureed cauliflower. Boil the cauliflower in water on the stove-top until it is very tender. Drain the water, but save 1/2 cup of the liquid. Add the cooked cauliflower, along with salt, pepper, garlic powder, butter and the reserved liquid to the blender. Process until smooth.
4. Pumpkin Treats: Fall is a great time for pumpkin treats! And there are several pureed pumpkin options your loved one might enjoy. Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse and Pumpkin Chai Smoothie with Dates are just two.
5. Avocado, Chicken & Potato Puree: Three hearty foods that combine well in a puree are avocado, potato and chicken. Place one small, diced potato, one cooked and diced, boneless chicken breast, and ½ of a diced avocado in your food processor. Add salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons of milk. Blend well.
6. Maple Whipped Sweet Potatoes: Rich in taste and fiber, sweet potatoes make for a healthy and delicious treat. Cook a sweet potato until it is tender and then cut it in to chunks. Place in the blender along with 1 tablespoon of cream, 2 teaspoons of maple syrup, 2 teaspoons of butter and a pinch of cinnamon. Blend until smooth and creamy.
7. Blackberry, Kale and Apple: This unlikely combination is another hearty and healthy choice. Chop and core 2 gala apples and place in blender. Add one cup of chopped kale, one cup of black berries and ½ cup of water. Blend and serve.
8. Mango Banana Smoothie: An easy treat to whip up is one that is also very healthy. Blend one frozen and sliced banana, one diced and frozen mango, one cup of plain Greek yogurt, a drizzle of honey and a teaspoon or two of almond milk.
Quick Tips for Pureeing Foods
If you are new at creating mechanical soft foods for a senior you love, here are a few tips on how to puree foods for adults:
- Remove skin, seeds, bones and other tough parts of ingredients that may be hard to blend smoothly.
- Cook all ingredients until they are tender and easy to chop in to small pieces that blend better.
- Adding small amounts of liquid (water, milk, juice) before you press “blend” often makes it easier to obtain a creamy texture.
Elmcroft Senior Living communities are able to accommodate a variety of special diets. Whether it is a low-sodium diet or pureed food recipes, the dining staff creates healthy and tasty menus for residents to enjoy!