The well-being of our residents’ minds, bodies and spirits has always been a top priority in each Elmcroft Senior Living community. Now, with the COVID-19 pandemic, that becomes a bit more challenging. That’s why we are taking these proactive steps to keep our communities safe and engaged.
Heightened Health PrecautionsWe are taking an abundance of caution in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic in all of our communities.
- We are working closely with the public health departments of the states where our communities are located and taking advice from the CDC. Every day, all day, we take action to ensure we comply with recommendations to prevent the virus from entering our communities and to be prepared and take appropriate action in the case that it does.
- We undertake careful protocols to clean and disinfect our communities, especially high-touch areas.
- Community dining has been discontinued for all residents except for our Chronicles Memory Care residents and meals are provided on single-use disposable dinnerware. Chronicles Memory Care residents eat in the dining room and staff ensure appropriate social distancing and cleaning protocols.
- Our staff are educated in and practice strict standard precautions in hand hygiene and coughing/sneezing etiquette.
- Hand sanitizers are readily available throughout our communities.
- Personal protective equipment (gloves, masks and sanitizers) are available to staff and residents.
- Visitation is restricted to only those receiving end-of-life care services. Those visits still require screening to enter the community.
To stay current about COVID-19 and possible effects on our communities, check the Elmcroft update regularly.
How Residents Are Staying Engaged
One of the benefits of living in an Elmcroft community is the opportunity for plentiful social engagement. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, we have to strictly limit or curtail our normal social and engagement activities and communal dining for all residents. In addition, independent living residents are required to practice social distancing and encouraged to remain on campus. However, we have initiated creative ways to provide opportunities for socialization that help keep our residents safe. For example:
- Virtual visits: Residents and their families appreciate our virtual visit programs. Tablets are in every community and our staff help schedule and facilitate these visits for our residents.
- One-on-one activities: Community staff continue to engage residents in one-on-one activities and ensure all residents are safe and comfortable. These activities can include reading together, taking a walk, playing cards and more.
Because our communities are welcoming and engaging, it didn’t take long for residents and staff to come up with fun activities that increase socialization while adhering to important social distancing protocols. Some of these creative activities include:
- Walkie-talkie bingo
- Doorway exercises
- Pen pal letter writing
- Televised exercise classes and entertainment
- Enjoying outdoor pathways and garden areas with safe social distancing
We understand how challenging the COVID-19 pandemic has made life for all of our residents and their families. We will continue to focus on ways to guard our residents’ health and provide a comfortable and engaging atmosphere in all our communities. To see more ways that our residents are engaging with friends, family and staff during this challenging time, see our Facebook posts.